WATCH AND ANSWER THE QUESTIONS
Este é um trecho de um programa americano chamado “What not to wear!” (O que não vestir). Uma pessoa é nominada para o programa secretamente pelos amigos e familiares. Os apresentadores dão para esta pessoa um cartão de crédito com a quantia de cinco mil dólares, desde que a pessoa esteja pronta a abrir mão das suas roupas atuais e de fazer compras seguindo regras (“the rules”) determinadas por eles. A pessoa ganha ainda um novo corte de cabelo e dicas de maquiagem. Este tipo de programa faz parte dos chamados “makeover shows” extremamente em alta nos EUA.
inner city= centro decadente
thought= (passado de think= pensar)
sort of = tipo
wanna=want to (informal, só usado no inglês falado)
sound= soar; parecer
throw out= jogar fora
take care= tomar conta
excusing us= nos dispensando
took= (passado de take= pegar/levar)
gotta= got to= tem que (informal, só usado no inglês falado)
you have done/ you have made= fez
make a mess (fazer uma bagunça)
be over= acabar
low cut= decote baixo
see through= transparente
Oh. Gosh! = Oh, Deus
jump off from a bridge= pular de uma ponte
stepping over my lifeless body = por cima do meu cadáver
be crazy= ser louco
private parts= partes privadas
be in tune with your body= estar em sintonia com o seu corpo
have a great time at my expense= divertir-se às minhas custas
found= (passado de find= achar)
best show ever= o melhor programa de todos
most difficult contributor= o colaborador mais difícil/
best result= o melhor resultado
hips swing= rebolado
the closest= mais próximo
the coolest twist= a mudança mais legal
take on the world= conquistar o mundo
let go= esquecer/ superar
Para mais dúvidas consulte: http://michaelis.uol.com.br/
New York City: sexy night life style is a necessity, but for Cristina Hernandez it’s her identity. Cristina teaches conflict resolution using drama in inner city schools.
– I’m sort of attached to be sexy, like… Am I ready to give that up? I thought: this is going to be hard for Stacy and Clinton and I sort of feel bad. You know? It’s just like, am I making them really, really work?
– That was a great piece… what? You know what? I wanna jump in there because right now I’m feeling… I need a therapist.
– You do?
– You know what? This is the therapy, baby, get used to it.
– Help is right. Help! Help! Help us!
– No puedo! No puedo! No puedo! Ya no vo …. (in Spanish)
– I don’t know what she’s just said, but she sounded mad!
– I know!
– That’s Cristina that you are throwing out!
– I have nothing left. You know what? I think you should go. You did a great job. Thank you. And I’ll take care of this.
– Oh. Thanks. Now you are excusing us, you are the boss?
– I just don’t want you guys to work any harder.
– You! Out! Go! Go shopping! Remember? The rules?
– I’m taking these…
– Oh! Cristina we are going to call the authorities.
– You know what? You took the money. You gotta leave the clothes.
– Look at you have done. You’ve made a mess.
– You’ve destroyed me. It’s over. I have no soul. You know what? Cristina? That’s Cristina for you. This, I have no idea who it is.
– Stacy and Clinton, low cut, see through, hum? You say goodbye…I say hello. Hello. Oh. Gosh! This is something I think I would wear right before I jumped off from a bridge… and you can see me going down… and you can see the dress flowing…
– Why don’t you show us some things that follow the rules that we showed you?
– Come on. You can do it.
– I don’t remember the rules. I was too traumatized!
– The only way you walk out of this store with that in your hands is stepping over my lifeless body.
– Guys. You gotta have a little room to be crazy! I mean everything is not like…
– You got more than a little room. Our private parts don’t talk to us. At least, not that we are going to admit it.
– You should be in tune with your body. Look at you. Having a great time at my expense.
– Absolutely not at your expense.
– I’m going to go and try on what you have suggested.
– Please, go!
– Let’s go!
– I found Cristina today. I have to say that I did! Not that I found Cristina today, but I’ve actually found a better Cristina today. I think that I’ve really have a new fond of appreciation for myself. That’s sort of a maybe little insecure Cristina is gone and this new very confident, secure, smart, intelligent, sexy, fun Cristina is like here.
– Oh, my God!
– Get over here!
– You look fabulous!
– I feel fabulous!
– Oh my God! Best show ever! Most difficult contributor, best result. Oh, look at those hips swing. Now, I’ve gotta say this outfit is the closest to the old Cristina that I can see with the coolest twist.
– This is Cristina a hundred per cent “sazón” all the way through, honey: “sazón!”
– Is that like “Spanish”?
– That’s Spanish season.
– The new Cristina, she is fabulous. I’m too happy with myself right now. I want to go out on the street and just tell everybody: “Look at me!”
– This is the new me. I’m ready to take on the world right now and I feel that I have the clothes to do it and the confidence. I want to let it go. When you let go, great things come into your life. But it has definitely been an amazing journey because I feel like I’m different not just in the way that I think about what I’m wearing but also about the way I feel about myself. I don’t know how the future is going to be, but I’ll tell you what: I’m going to be open and I’m going to be wearing the right outfit.
- What kind of clothes did Cristina like before the show?
- Did Cristina accept the rules right away? Why did she do that?
- What were her feelings during the makeover?
- What about after the makeover?